Our Demands: REINVEST in Strong Communities & Community Control (Real Democracy)End/ Divest from
- Criminalization, Arrests & Incarceration of public housing residents, homeless residents, day laborers, youth of color, etc.
- School to prison pipeline
Build Up/Invest In
- Divert money from policing and incarceration to Housing, Mental Health, other health services, community-controlled programs and spaces, etc.
- Education! Retrain school cops to be counselors/Hire more teachers/Buy more books
- BRING OUR PEOPLE HOME!!! Infrastructure and resources for people displaced by Hurricane Katrina to guarantee the Right to Return to their homes in the Gulf Coast.
How can you be part of this National Day of Action?
Organize a Local Action in Your City or Town on August 29, 2008 - making connections between these demands and your local struggles!
If you live in New Orleans, Miami, Boston/Providence, New York, DC Metro/ Alexandria, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Oakland, link up with your Right to the City Region to plan your local action.
If you live in another area, organize your own action! Please contact the Right to the City Alliance (info below) to let us know what you are planning. In conjunction with this day of action, Right to the City is working to bring organizers/community members from New Orleans to different cities throughout the Alliance during the 3rd Anniversary, to further build bonds of solidarity.