Wednesday, August 29th, 2007 will mark the second commemoration of Hurricane Katrina and the Great Flood that devastated New Orleans and revealed to the world the ongoing depth of racism and national oppression that exists within the United States. The People’s Hurricane Relief Fund and Oversight Coalition, a U.S.-based coalition of survivors of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and their supporters, is holding its Second Annual Commemorative March on August 29th and the International Tribunal on Hurricanes Katrina and Rita from August 29th – September 2nd, 2007 (see www.internationaltribunal.org for more details).
PHRF/OC is calling on justice seeking people throughout the world to stand in solidarity with us on Wednesday, August 29th in support of these actions and demand that the US government be made accountable for the crimes it perpetrated against the marginalized and oppressed peoples of the Gulf Coast – people African descent, Indigenous Peoples, migrants, and the poor - during and after Hurricane Katrina.
We are demanding the following:
- The US government declare the victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Internally Displace Persons (IDP’s) and that they be provided with the basic rights and securities that come with this designation.
- The US government provide immediate restitution to all Gulf Coast IDP’s, regardless of race, income, or property holding status.
- Government officers, institutions, and agencies responsible for the death of over 2,000 individuals and the numerous human rights violations and crimes committed during and after Hurricane Katrina be held legally accountable for their actions.
- Hold a demonstration on August 29th at the US Embassy or Consulate in your country and raise the aforementioned demands in support the Gulf Coast IDP’s and the International Tribunal.
- Deliver a statement addressed to US President George Bush demanding that the US government comply with the just demands of the Gulf Coast IDP’s, including the demands for recognition and restitution.
- Issue a statement of solidarity to the International Tribunal on Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, alerting the body of your actions and support.
- Join the International Tribunal network and support our ongoing campaign work for justice by registering at the www.internationaltribunal.org website
If you plan on conducting any of the above actions or to receive more information please contact us at email@example.com.
Uphold the Right of Return and hold the US government accountable for its crimes against humanity in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. Act Now!
In Unity and Struggle,